Original image from Apartment34.com

When shopping for a product, packaging is part of why I buy it, but as I’ve become more conscious of how much I throw away, a products general recyclability has become an even more reason to buy. I read recently 84% of respondents said consumers would buy a product if they thought the product had social or environmental benefits (research). Now companies are increasing on their green packaging materials which I feel isn’t a trend but instead part of the changing packaging expectations and increasing innovations with consumer demand.

 

Companies that have currently embraced eco-friendly packaging:

S.W. Basics

I came across this brand when Target was briefly in Canada (oh please come back, IMU) and this line stood out to me on store shelves. It’s simple and easy labelling made distinguishing products on shelves easy to find. Aside from this line’s simple ingredients, they only have at most 5 ingredients in each product, all of S.W.’s products are in housed in beautiful glass bottles adding an opportunity to reuse for other needs around the home. I’ve re-used their bottles to house a collection of ‘beijinhos’ (“kiss” shells from the numerous beaches in Portugal), and used them as a collection of decor along the bathroom to give an apothecary style to the space. There are numerous other ways to utilize glass bottles, just check out Pinterest for more.

In Canada and want to try this affordable line? Check out clementinefields (Toronto), Well.ca (Toronto)

*Disclaimer* I’m in no way affiliated with S.W. Basics or have been solicited to review/share their products on my website. I mention the brand out of genuine love for the brand and products.

Original image from SarenaBee.com (Beauty blogger from Dublin, Ireland)

Tata Harper

Not only is this product one of the most luxurious and pricey products in the green beauty section of Sephora, it’s also one brand that has worked towards developing certifications to ensure their product and business as a whole are committed to being eco-friendly and non-toxic.

They’ve taken responsibility in buying recycled paper for their packaging material and using recyclable glass bottles in order to cut down carbon footprint. Tata has taken green beauty one step further converting a huge red barn and producing in small batches in their own Vermont laboratory—they buy renewable energy from the state. I absolutely love their video that discusses more of the soul and development behind the Tata Harper brand.

Tata Harper developed this eco-conscious brand by being part of:

Leaping Bunny Association – Cruelty-free and never testing on animals

PETA Caring Consumer – They never pay for any tests on animals for ingredients, formulations or finished products.

American Vegetarian Association – Their products are 100% certified vegetarian

EcoCert Certified – Their sustainable from beginning to end.

*Disclaimer* I’m in no way affiliated with Tata Harper or have been solicited to review/share their products on my website. I mention the brand out of genuine love for the brand and products.

Original image from AllieBeckwithBlog.com

Lush

Lush has really set themselves apart by reducing packaging on 35% of their products completely. The other 65%, they’ve used recycled materials to reduce their carbon footprint. Reducing packaging like this reduces landfill waste by the millions each year. I love shopping with this open concept brand. It’s hands-on and always an experience in sampling, and speaking with happy Lush employees, on skin needs and my preferred scents and theirs too. Lush has taken a creative packaging route with the introduction of knot-wraps. They’ve stopped offering traditional gift wrapping except in their already packaged gift boxes. The knot-wraps are unique because they can used again for paying it forward through gift wrapping to others or decorating around the home or used as an accessory.

*Disclaimer* I’m in no way affiliated with Lush or have been solicited to review/share their products on my website. I mention the brand out of genuine love for the brand and products.